Without a container, you have nothing to gather or hold water. As water is the juice of life, you absolutely need to have some sort of water holding device with you. If you don't, you'll be forced to create one of your own. It can be done, but it's difficult and time consuming as these photos show.
- Find Suitable Log
- Carving out the Center
- Burning out the Center - Scrape away charred wood
- Keep Burning and scraping till the opening is big enough
- Adding Hot Rocks to Stream Water
- Continue to add Hot rocks till it boils
- Pouring Boiled water into container.
This was an exercise to boil a full 32 ounces of water. The lesson - Bring a Container with you in the Woods!
A lot of people carry a canteen with them in the woods while camping, hiking, etc. Having a metal container allows you to boil water for purification purposes. If your canteen is plastic, you will not be able to use it in the fire to heat water.